Our policies pertaining to the circulation of our materials.
Find information about borrowing, returning, and renewing materials and what to do about late or lost books.
Checking Out Materials:
- All UMN students, staff, and faculty can check out materials through our system with an email account and a student/staff ID number.
- Your account will be created during your first visit to the library (Note: Some instructors set up accounts for their students prior to a library visit)
- All regular use materials and books are checked out for a 3 week period (exceptions apply for specialty books, technology materials, and other limited use materials)
- Faculty members have a 5 week check out period
- Materials can be returned to the library drop box in the hallway outside of Peik 45 or to a blue return basket by the front door.
- Technology materials should be returned directly to library staff (If we are closed they can be returned to Peik 125)
- Most materials can be renewed up to three times, if there are no holds on the materials
- Library patrons must be in good standing with the library (without excessive overdue or missing books) to renew books
- Renewals can be requested in person at the front desk, by email, or in response to a Return/Renew Notice sent by our library staff.
- We send out Renew/Return Reminder notices by email every other week. These notices increase in frequency near the end of the semester
Placing a Hold on Materials:
- If you would like to request a specific title of place a hold on specific materials in our collection, contact us by email.